7 Simple Tips to Lose Weight and Treat Back Pain
For people who are overweight and also experiencing back pain, it is probably not a coincidence. Being overweight is one of the common causes of back pain, especially in the lower back. When considering how the majority of Americans are overweight, it is easy to see why back pain is becoming an epidemic in the United States. But the good news is back pain is treatable.
Every pound on the body equals 4 pounds of pressure on the spine. This may come as a surprise for many, yet it is true. Someone who weighs 200 pounds is putting 800 pounds of pressure on their spine. Think of it like this: extra weight = extra stress on the spine and joints. Excess belly fat eventually causes the pelvis and lower back to slant forward. This creates a permanent and round arch in the back, which causes back pain.
The strongest muscles are in the back. However, there is only so much they can handle. To effective treat back pain an overweight person will want to start losing weight. Below are a few tips for those who need help losing weight.
- Get moving. A gym is not the only place to work out. The side walk works, or even the living room of a home. Jog around the house, on the sidewalk or at the park. Avoid sitting around at all cost.
- Use smaller plates. Studies show eating on smaller plates leads to weight loss.
- Maintain proper posture. It is hard to notice, but many people with back pain are sleeping or carrying things the wrong way. An unhealthy posture can lead to neck and back pain. Before going to sleep or getting up from a chair, check for proper posture. Also, a certain amount of neck and back muscle is necessary to maintain a healthy posture. Exercise regularly to build and maintain adequate muscles in those areas.
- Try water therapy. Water therapy will be as complex as a person wants it to be. The easiest thing someone can do for water therapy is jog, lift weights, or swim in a pool. For those who prefer something more orthodox, there are plenty of underwater treadmills out there.
- Eat healthier. Shopping at whole foods does not make a person healthy. A person becomes healthier when they stop eating unhealthy foods — candy, fast food and soda — and instead eat more vegetables, rice and water. Keep in mind, the effect of exercise is minimal without a healthy diet to supplement it. It is a combined effort!
- Get a good night’s sleep. Many studies show lack of sleep increases risk of weight gain. Be sure to get enough sleep.
- Get a dog. Getting a pet dog is surprisingly a great way to lose weight fast. By simply walking a dog once a day someone can lose weight without realizing it. Not to mention, their household will have a new furry and lovable friend.